<< Return to main page
Here's a list of old episodes in date order! There have been some great conversations so feel free to binge them all!
<< Back to main page
Episode 97 - Leading & Evolving Product Teams Through Hyperscale (with Brian Shen, Product Director @ ClickUp)
Episode 97: Leading & Evolving Product Teams Through HyperscaleBrian Shen, Product Director @ ClickUp
12 Dec 2021
12 Dec 2021
About the Episode
An interview with Brian Shen. Brian is Product Director and head of Product Ops at ClickUp, an all-in-one productivity platform that you've definitely seen an advertisement for recently. ClickUp are taking aim at JIRA and other productivity platforms and aim to "save you one day a week". The company is on a hypergrowth path and Brian is trying to ensure the team remains effective along the way.
We talk about a lot, including:
- What ClickUp does, how it's different from other productivity tools, and how they can "save you one day a week"
- How they can avoid becoming the next JIRA, and how they aim to keep UX at the centre & develop a fully integrated solution
- How they use Product Ops at ClickUp and whether it's fair to label Product Ops as merely "process people" or whether they're strategic enabler for the business
- How using ClickUp within the product team helps them to build a tool that helps product people build products using ClickUp
- Some of the challenges of running a product team during hypergrowth & some of the things they've had to change along the way
- The problems with "unintentional communication", why you have to vary your message for your audience and the importance of telling a coherent story
- How to prepare for a live talk to thousands of people at your company conferences and how stretch experiences like this help you become a better leader
And much more!
Check out ClickUp
If ClickUp sounds good to you, and you want to see if you can save one day a week, why not check out ClickUp.com?
You can reach out to Brian on LinkedIn.
Related episodes you should like:
- Escaping the Build Trap with Product Operations and Strong CPOs (Melissa Perri, Product Management Leader, Educator & Author "Escaping the Build Trap")
- Measurably Improving Managers to Help People do Great Work... and be Totally Psyched Doing It (Russ Laraway, Author "When They Win, You Win")
- Achieving Product Excellence with the Product Operations Manifesto (Antonia Landi, Product Ops Consultant & Co-Author "Product Operations Manifesto")
- From High-Frequency Trader to Investor in Good Ideas (Pooja Parthasarathy, Head of Product @ AbstractOps)
- The Importance of Making Design a Strategic Business Partner (Wolfgang Bremer, Head of Design @ Elli)
- Making our Product Teams Stronger through Building Communities of Practice (Petra Wille, Author "Strong Product People" and "Strong Product Communities")
- Optimising Product Planning with the Quartz Open Framework (Steve Johnson, Product Coach)
- Effective Hiring for Product Managers & Building Diverse Teams (Kate Leto, Author "Hiring Product Managers")
Copyright © 2020-2024 One Knight in Product