<< Return to main page
Here's a list of old episodes in date order! There have been some great conversations so feel free to binge them all!
<< Back to main page
Episode 30 - How to Crack your Product Management Career (with Jackie Bavaro, Co-author "Cracking the PM Interview" & "Cracking the PM Career")
Getting into Product
Women in Product
Episode 30: How to Crack your Product Management CareerJackie Bavaro, Co-author "Cracking the PM Interview" & "Cracking the PM Career"
30 Jan 2021
30 Jan 2021
About the Episode
Jackie started her Product Management career as a Program Manager at Microsoft, before joining Google's Associate Product Manager programme and then getting hired as the first Product Manager at Asana. Back in 2013, she collaborated with Gayle McDowell to write the best-selling book "Cracking the PM Interview", which inspired a generation of Product Managers to get their first jobs. Jackie and Gayle are back with "Cracking the PM Career" which explains how to get good at it once you're in.
Understandably, we cover a lot, including:
- How Jackie got into Product in the first place, and why Microsoft calls Product Managers Program Managers
- The pros and cons of working for Google versus a new startup
- How she met and decided to collaborate with Gayle McDowell and how they write together
- How the FAANG companies reacted to her giving away all their secrets
- Excellent advice on how to make an impact in your new PM job
- How to avoid the dreaded Feature Factory, build a strategy and sell it
- Why it's important to look outside your Product bubble for inspiration
And much more!
You can connect with Jackie on Twitter or find her on Medium.
Get the books!
You know it makes sense.. go and get 'em!
Cracking the PM Interview
Cracking the PM Career
Related episodes you should like:
Copyright © 2020-2024 One Knight in Product